Monday, 23 September 2013

Chris Langlois @ Manly Art Gallery & Museum

Over the years, I've been admiring Artist, Chris Langlois' work from afar.

My love of his work first started in high school (he was a few years ahead of me at the same high school). I remember seeing the painting he did for the HSC, I thought it was GENIUS!

It was a huge painting of the Last Supper. He had painted it exactly like the original by Leonardo Da Vinci, except that they were all eating McDonalds for supper! I remember a feeling of excitement, the feeling that anything could be done with Art. I was in awe of what he could do with a paintbrush, and I still am.

The Artist - Chris Langlois

The paintings he creates now are nothing like his Last Supper painting. He has evolved hugely, and is still a magician with his paintbrush and manipulation of oil paint. His epic landscapes have a beauty that is sensual and extremely pleasing to the eye. From a landscape or seascape, to rain on the car window, his images keep you wanting to see more. His website is full of images of his works, and his studio space is one of the tidiest and most organised Artist Studios I've ever seen!

He paints in oil on linen in a very large scale, so standing in front of one of his paintings gives you a sense of being there, in the moment.

Chris Langlois in his studio

You can decide for yourself how you feel about his work. His current Exhibition - POINTS IN TIME, A Survey - 2002-2013, is on at Manly Art Gallery and Museum until the 4th of November, 2013.

Chris' exhibition at Manly Art Gallery and Musuem

Chris also has an upcoming book to coincide with the survey Points in Time, which you can buy at the exhibition.