Saturday, 19 May 2012

Mr Hockney

I mentioned in a post back in April about an exhibition catalogue that my husband bought home for me from London. David Hockney, A Bigger Picture. I have been completely consuming every page and am loving his bright colours and unique style. I've been a fan of his since high school and I am very excited that my lovely husband remembered.
BeFunky Original on iPhone
I was reading about all the digital drawing he has been doing on his iPad for the last 5 or so years.
BeFunky Original on iPhone
David Hockney's iPad drawings
I have this underwater theme going on at the moment (in case you haven't noticed) and decided to try it out, drawing on my iPad. I use the Brushes app that Mr Hockney uses, as well as the SketchbookX app that is FREE. I can open all of my drawings in both apps and get different effects going, switching between the two. They have a lot of different brushes and patterns. I have a long way to go though, I'm just a learner at drawing on my iPad, but it is a lot quicker process. No brushes to wash, the colours are infinite, and you can have something decent in a short amount of time. You can see a pic of my studio wall from about a month ago here. There are a few that I did early on stuck to the wall for inspiration.
Untitled
Don't worry though, I'm not giving up my real brushes and paint, it just doesn't have the same effect that a painting on canvas has. If I work between the two (and all the other mediums I play with ) hopefully it will stretch my imagination a little more. 

No comments: