Friday, 14 May 2010

Letter Writing

It's funny how we take for granted the ability to write beautiful letters to our friends and family in faraway places. It is a wonderful thought to go to the letterbox every day and receive a hand written letter from someone we love. Nowadays, we switch on the computer and check our email, from our 3 or 4 email accounts, 3 or 4 times a day. Too easy I admit, and a little lazy. 

The other day I came across my old hand written letters from the '80's when I was in International Pen Friends (which I just found out still exists). I had Pen Friends from Malaysia, Japan, India, France, Brazil, Norway, New Zealand and Poland. In the early 1980's I remember writing every week to at least one or more of them. They were all different ages and all had an interest in drawing, stamp collecting and sports, like me at that age. I really liked the images from the stamps on the letters they sent to me and the thought of those distant places that I would one day be able to travel to. Maybe a chance of one day meeting one or more of them in person was always a wonderful thought.

I can't bring myself to throw them away, they will be fun for my kids to read when they are the same age I was when I received them. Even though I no longer write to any of them, hopefully my kids will appreciate the time it took to build these relationships and make some of their own.

I am off now to check my letterbox, or was it my email???

xo Mon.

No comments: