Friday, 3 August 2007

My Favourite Materials of the Moment

::A page from my sketchbook in 2000::NYC::

I often think about where people get ideas on what to paint. I look at some artworks and think, how on earth did they come up with that. My ideas come from my experiences and surroundings and what is pleasing to MY eye. I then paint in MY style, which I have only just been able to see clearly as I have added photos of my artworks to this blog. I don't think I have much continuity in my work at the moment though, and it is quite disjointed. I think it is all to do with time, and my lack of it. I have SO many ideas and can't seem to get them on to canvas quick enough. I might need to start working on smaller canvases, maybe it won't be so time consuming. My smallest is about 1metre x 1metre, which usually takes about a week from start to finish (from making the stretched canvas to applying the final varnish).

Sometimes I cheat and buy primed stretched canvases, but they can become quite expensive and make the finished price of the artwork increase. Living in an apartment doesn't allow me to have much space to be a handyman with my electric mitre saw to cut stretcher bars for my paintings. So, I have a guy, a stretcher bar guy, who cuts them for me as I need them, if I am making the canvases myself.

After living in NY and buying art supplies at bargain prices at Pearl Paint on Canal Street, I find it so incredibly expensive to buy art supplies in Australia. It is so frustrating sometimes when I can't find things here that I had used for 10 years. I know, I should get over it, but I just can't, I like to vent my frustration every now and then.

Here are a few of the materials I like using at the moment.
::Acrylic Paint Tubes::

::Rembrandt Pastels::

::Various Other Acrylics::

::Tria Markers::


It's not as if I need any new materials right now, I just love collecting them. They come out of hiding every so often and make me create lovely things.

I hope you have a great weekend...
Mon
xo

No comments: